Amulya's Ugly Costume!

I just dug this one up. Not sure if I shared this one yet, this was my first attempt at making a belly dance costume. Shame that the details aren't really visible, so I'll describe it for you hehe:

The top was a bra that I used without replacing the straps, I just sew the sequins right on there (by stretching the straps). The fringe on the bra was plasic stuff already melted on a string (easy, you don't have to make the fringe) I cut it into pieces to make that triangular effect. (bra wasn't even lined!)

The 'belt' had the same plastic 'fringe' stuff around it and here is the best thing: the golden fringe is furnishing fringe LOL.

Why I made it like this? I had never seen a belly dance costume up close, only pictures that my grandfather took in the 60's in Egypt. Costumes were very skimpy in that time and I tried to copy those cossies (where else could I get inspiration?) so that's why the belt is so thin and there is so much leg visible.


Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "Amulya's Ugly Costume!"

  1. Fanboy Wife, on March 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM said:

    Thank you for sharing! I like the story behind it.

  2. Amulya, on April 6, 2010 at 6:57 PM said:

    Thank you :-) I had to share it! Can't get away with having a blog like this and not having a costume mistake myself ;-)